If you’re anything like me, you always overestimate the number of bananas you’re going to eat in a given week- and then you end up with overripe bananas that quickly make their way into the garbage can. I remember my Mom always freezing our overripe bananas when we were younger, and then using them to make banana bread so I thought there must be some way to do the same in the form of a cupcake. Where banana bread tends to be more dense and for lack of a better description “bread-like” this is a recipe for banana cupcakes- not simply scaled down mini banana breads. So next time you have some extra bananas on your hands, do yourself a favour and freeze them for another day, they’re an extremely versatile ingredient, and they make for a delicious cupcake as well 😉
Makes about 18 cupcakes
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter
– 1 1/2 cups white sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I actually used about 1 1/2 cups myself)
– 1/4 cup milk
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and mash your bananas 🙂 (If you’ve frozen them, you’ll have to let them thaw out in a bowl before doing this step- older bananas mash a lot easier than fresh ones!)
2) In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and milk, mixing for another 1-2 minutes. Add the bananas to the wet ingredients and mix by hand until combined.
3) In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (I find mixing them together with a fork works nicely). Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine.
4) Fill your lined muffin cups 2/3 full with your batter (as you can see mine are a little bit more full, but I made only 12 instead of the 18 this cupcake recipe generally yields)
5) Bake your cupcakes for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT FROSTING
I’m not going to lie, I feel like I cheated a little with this frosting, but Nutella is just so tasty, why would you not use it?
– 1/2 cup- 1 cup unsalted butter (depending on your preference)
– 1-3 cups icing sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
– 1-2 tablespoons of Nutella
1) Beat butter, sugar and vanilla to your desired consistency (you can add some milk if you feel it’s too thick)
2) Add your Nutella and combine using a spoon (BE CAREFUL! I know the temptation is there to fill your frosting with Nutella, but Nutella is naturally oily because of the hazelnuts and your icing won’t stand up to any kind of temperature change if you add too much!)
And there you have it, something delicious to do with those pesky overripe bananas you had intended to eat on your recent health kick 😉 Give them a try, and let me know how yours turned out 🙂
Happy eating!! xo