I should start off with saying that I have “issues” with cereal. I could honestly eat it all day long, for every meal (and i’m pretty sure that I have done so at least once in the past month). I try to make healthy choices when it comes to what I eat, but cereal is my kryptonite haha. One of the most viewed recipes on my blog is my Trix cereal recipe (http://www.theittybittybakery.com/trix-cereal-cupcake-recipe/) so I decided that it was about time I did another cereal themed cupcake!
I think Cinnamon Toast Crunch is one of the best cereals out there, and I thought that it would make an amazing cupcake. I’m happy to say that I was right! Since the Trix cupcakes came out a little more “crunchy” than I would prefer, I decided to put the cereal into the icing alone this time, and see how it tasted. The vanilla-cinnamon cupcake is wonderful but the icing is seriously OUT OF THIS WORLD 😀 It honestly took a lot for me to not shovel what was left into my mouth (but as I mentioned above, I do TRY to make healthy choices 😉 ). I hope that you’ll love these cupcakes just as much as I now do:
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes
(Makes about 12 cupcakes)
– 1 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup oil (I use vegetable)
– 2 eggs
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
– 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
– 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 cup milk (any will work, even almond or soy!)
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line (or grease) your muffin pan.
2) In a medium sized bowl, cream together your butter and sugar. Then beat in your eggs, one at a time.
3) Stir in your vanilla extract.
4) In another small bowl, combine your flour, baking soda, and cinnamon- then add it to the butter mixture, and mix well with a hand mixer (about 2 minutes).
5) Stir in the milk, adding small amounts until your batter is smooth, then fill your liners 2/3 full.
6) Bake the cupcakes for 18-22 minutes (depending upon your own oven)- check for done-ness at the 18 minute mark.
Now, while your kitchen is filled with the delicious smell of cooling cinnamon cupcakes, make your frosting:
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Buttercream
(Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes)
– 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
– 2-3 cups icing sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1-2 teaspoons milk
– 1/4 to 1/3 cup crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
1) With a hand mixer, cream together your butter,sugar and cinnamon (adding sugar in small amounts).
2) Stir in your vanilla extract and milk until you achieve your desired consistency.
3) Add your crushed cereal (I just put mine in a sealed Ziploc bag and squished it with a heavy bowl) and stir with a spoon until combined.
You can be fancy (like me 😉 ) and pipe the icing onto your cupcakes, or if you really just want to get them into your mouth as soon as possible (which I definitely wouldn’t fault you for!) you can just spread some on with a knife. You can also garnish your cupcakes with more crushed cereal, or a single cereal square as I have.
Happy eating! xo