I have something to admit to you. I really don’t like pistachios. Especially the salted ones. Blech! I consider them far too much work for such a little result. And how annoying is it when you crack one open and there’s nothing inside? Or worse, a little rock hard shrivelled one. Gross.
Well, in spite of my own obvious issues with this particular nut, my husband of course loves them. And as I was making the butter, I discovered our toddler also does. So I guess I am the odd man out in this household!
As I mentioned in my last nut butter post, I made these for my husband for Christmas as an alternative to some of the very expensive store-bought brands. Unfortunately, any way you cut it, pistachios are expensive! Less so when you purchase the ones still in the shell, but I speak from experience when I say you probably don’t want to spend the better part of an hour de-shelling these little nuts. Buy the unshelled roasted version, trust me on that.
Despite my above rant about the pitfalls of pistachio love, I actually really love this recipe. Like “had to hide it from myself so I didn’t consume a major amount before Christmas” love. It must be the lack of shells involved in it’s consumption. Regardless, try this recipe…I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Coconut Maple Pistachio Butter
Makes about 1 1/4 cup butter
– 2 cups roasted pistachios (shells removed)
– 1-3 tablespoons coconut oil
– 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
– pinch of sea salt
1) Add the pistachios and pinch of salt to your food processor and process until finely chopped.
2) Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and continue processing until smooth (about 5-7 minutes).
3) Add the maple syrup and continue processing. If the mixture becomes dry again (which sometimes happens) simply add another tablespoon or two of coconut oil and process until smooth again.
4) Transfer to a sealed container and keep in the refrigerator.
Happy eating! Xo