I’ll be the first to admit that any kind of “diet” change I make never really seems to stick for that long…
My husband is on the “paleo” diet at the moment, and I was beginning to get sick of the pouty faces I saw every time I made something that didn’t fit within his list of approved food items (it’s a pretty short list). I did the diet with him for the first thirty days, for moral support, and I swear I started seeing bread mirages in the distance. I’m just not cut out for these types of major diet overhauls, unfortunately!
We have a few friends that are also on strict no-gluten, no-dairy diets as well…and it seems as though everyone and their cat has a “gluten sensitivity” these days, so I thought why not…lets take a detour from the sugar laden treats into something that won’t have my child bouncing off the walls until bedtime. (in all honesty she has a very low sugar, no gluten diet anyways- but it’s nice to have a treat every once in awhile!) This recipe is not completely “sugar” free, but coconut sugar is low on the glycemic index and won’t spike your blood sugar like its’ evil refined white cousin! And if you’re really hardcore about your diet, you can omit the sugar altogether.
You’ll notice that I have been pretty specific with the ingredients this time- that is because in order for these cupcakes to be truly paleo and gluten free you have to be a stickler for reading the ingredient labels on what’s in your kitchen (especially your baking powder and soda).
I take no responsibility for how quickly these cupcakes will disappear after you make them 😉
Paleo Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Makes about 9 cupcakes
– 4 whole free-range organic eggs
– 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
– 1/3 cup organic coconut sugar (if you’re really hardcore you can omit this completely!)
– 1 cup organic almond flour (almond “meal”)
– 2 tsp gluten/aluminum free baking powder
– 1/2 tsp gluten/aluminum free baking soda
– 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
– Juice and zest of two limes (if making the frosting you’ll need the juice and zest of 3 limes- but keep 1 separate)
– 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pan with liners (I don’t recommend baking this recipe without liners!)
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut sugar until the sugar is dissolved. In another bowl combine the flour, almond meal, and baking powder and soda.
3) Add half of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the coconut milk, lime zest and juice and beat on low until incorporated.
4) Add the remaining flour mixture, as well as the shredded coconut, and beat until smooth.
5) Evenly divide the batter between the liners (they’ll be about 2/3 full). Bake for 18-22 minutes (check every few minutes after 18- every oven is different), they will be risen and golden on the top when done!
Coconut Lime Paleo Frosting
– 1 cup organic coconut “cream”
– up to 1/4 cup organic coconut milk
– 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
– up to 1 tbsp organic coconut sugar (can be omitted)
– Juice and zest of 1 lime
1) Blend the coconut cream on low speed using a hand mixer. Add about 2 tbsp coconut milk and mix gently.
2) Add the lime zest and juice, coconut sugar (as much or as little as you’d like- you can also omit it), and vanilla extract and blend on low speed for about one minute.
I find that it helps to put the icing in the refrigerator for a little bit before using it (which works because hopefully you can keep your hands off the cupcakes long enough to let them cool). If you find your icing too thick for your liking, you can add more coconut milk or lime juice- this icing is quite customizable depending on which flavour you like best!
I used the Wilton 1M icing tip to make swirls, and decorated with toasted coconut (recipe: http://www.theittybittybakery.com/key-lime-coconut-cupcake-recipe/) and a small slice of lime.
If you give this recipe a try and like it, please let me know by leaving a comment below, or joining the Facebook group:
Happy eating! xo