It’s that time of year again…where I come up with another red velvet recipe for my sister’s birthday haha. This recipe is quite simple, and bakes up a delicious not quite chocolate- not quite vanilla brownie with a sweet yet tangy cheesecake swirl…so…dang…good. It took a lot to not steal a few before taking them over for my sister. This is definitely a recipe i’ll be making again soon (i’ve already gotten a request for them for a Christmas party later this month 😉 )
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
Makes 1 8×8 pan of brownies (about 16 pieces)
– 2 eggs (large size)
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter
– 1 cup white sugar
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
– 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
– 1 tablespoon red food colouring (gel kind works best)
– 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
– 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 container softened cream cheese (8 ounces)
– 1/4 cup white sugar
– 1 large egg
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the brownies:
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your 8×8 pan.
2) In a small bowl, beat the eggs together and set aside.
3) Melt the butter in a medium sized microwave safe bowl (about 30-60 seconds on high). Stir in the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, sea salt, food colouring and vinegar. Whisk in the eggs, and then fold in the flour until completely incorporated.
4) Pour the batter into your greased pan, reserving around 4 tablespoons to put on top of the filling.
To make the cheesecake topping:
1) In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until completely smooth.
2) Drop the topping, by the tablespoon, on top of the pan of brownie batter. Drop the leftover brownie batter over top of the cheesecake filling. To swirl, glide a sharp kitchen knife through the layers horizontally, and then vertically.
Bake the brownies in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely before cutting them into squares.
Happy eating! xo