It looks like summer has finally come to our little town, and you know what that means…BBQ!
I love to have people over, and we often go over to celebrate with friends and family when the weather gets warm, and I am sure that the same is true for you. With that always comes the need to ‘bring something’ to contribute to the party! As you might imagine, dessert often falls on me, which I don’t really mind. I have a few go-to recipes, and I love baking pies with fresh fruit when it comes in season, but a few weekends ago I had a real craving for the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Well, along came this recipe. I thought, what could make brownies even better? Peanut butter of course! Well, peanut butter, dark chocolate chips and sea salt that is.
These are seriously addictive. I am glad that I made them to bring over to a friends or I probably would have polished off most of the tray myself. I highly recommend whipping up a batch of these for your next summer party or BBQ:
Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Brownies with Peanut Butter Buttercream
Makes one 8×8 pan of brownies
– 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1 1/4 cups white sugar
– 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
– 1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 tablespoon fleur de sel or large flake sea salt
1) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and grease your 8×8 inch square baking pan with butter or oil.
2) In a medium sized bowl, combine the butter, sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth and combined. Set aside until just warm. *the mixture will look gritty at this point, don’t worry!
3) Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When your batter looks thick and well blended, add the flour and mini chocolate chips and stir until you can’t see the flour anymore (about one minute or so). Add the milk and stir gently until combined.
4) Spread the batter evenly into your prepared pan. Pat down with a rubber spatula if needed. Sprinkle the sea salt onto the top of the batter before baking.
5) Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
While the brownies are cooling, prepare the Peanut Butter Buttercream:
Peanut Butter Buttercream
– 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter
– 2/3 cup natural smooth peanut butter
– 1 cup icing sugar
– 3-4 tablespoons milk
1) In a medium sized bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth (about one minute). Add the peanut butter, and beat until combined.
2) Reduce speed and beat in the icing sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed. If the icing is too thick for your liking, add in more milk.
Pipe or spread the icing onto the tops of your cooled brownies and serve!
Happy eating! Xo